• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anti Depressant Advice Please

GhostTrip

Bluelighter
Im a 19 year old male and have been on ssris and beta blockers for depression and anxiety in the past with no great benefits from either an i do not like the idea of ssris and similar antiderpressants, is there any other alternatives and are they affective against depression and anxiety? i hear alot oabout 5-htp would anyone reccomend it?

Try seeing an excellent therapist who does CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Also maybe you are not on the right medication or dose? There are TCAs or Tricyclic Anti Depressants but those are not always prescribed as much as they used to be.

I have never taken benzos for anxiety/panic attacks but I've been told that doctors are hesitant to prescribe them and in my case I'm glad I didn't have them since I would have eaten them like candy and apparently they are very addictive and I was drinking a lot daily at the time.

I've never taken beta blockers either.

I never took 5-HTP and I did find that daily meditation and eating healthy, getting frequent exercise like walking everywhere and 30-45mins of cardio at least 3x a week, and some lifting helped a lot but it didn't help as much as an SSRI and CBT did for me.

If you see a Psychiatrist or have in the past for the meds, you really should be talking to them about medications for anxiety and depression.

I've only taken 5-HTP as a sleep supplement as well as the day after an e trip. It didn't have much of an affect either way.

I was also on zoloft (SSRI if I'm not mistaken) for a bit and found it not to really do anything either.

I recommend eating well and exercising a lot

also, maybe taking up some hobbies: cooking, knitting, cycling, music, etc.

you poor thing, I went through all of that when I was 20/21, im now 22 and I have fully recovered, it took me 3 times to find the right anti depressant..started with effexor, then went to a newer form of effexor then finally to lexapro which rlly did wonders for me, it is alot trial and error the main thing is not to give up ... sum great supps that will help u is the poliquin supplement magnesium plus (which relaxes ur muslces) and also your fish oils, take 6-9 per day this will help with brain and mood function, also holy basil supreme by charles poliquin, this is fo daily stress management, there is chamomile tea for better sleep, and u must see a phycologist to help with ur confidence coz what anxiety basically does is ruin ur confidence if u dont get it back its hard to recover good luck!!

Try seeing an excellent therapist who does CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Also maybe you are not on the right medication or dose?

This.